Friday, May 2, 2014

The Golden Rule ~ Lesson #191

Dear Joshua and Luke,

This has been a great week with friends.  You are both blessed to have so many friends.  You are also both very good at making friends, being friends, and keeping friends.

Friends are essential to life.  You will find many kinds of friends as you go through life ~ school friends, neighbors, friends that are teammates or are involved in an activity with you, etc.  As adults, you will also have many different groups of friends ~ work friends, old friends from high school and the neighborhood, friends that are parents of your children's friends and the list goes on and on.

Right now friends are very important to both of you.  You are both learning a lot about the difference between friends.  There are friends in your class at school.  There are friends that live close to you in the neighborhood.  There are friends on your baseball, basketball and sports teams, etc.  There are friends in many places.  I have noticed that you are both having to choose a little more about whom you spend your time with.
Preschool friends

Here are some things to keep in mind as you are choosing friends:

~ Friends should show respect to you (and you to them).,

~ Friends should usually make you feel better after being around them.

~ Friends should play things that you like to sometimes and you should play things they like to sometimes.

~  Friends should treat others respectfully, including your family and other friends. 

~ Friends should be honest. 
Karate friends

~ Friends stop doing or saying things to you when you ask them to stop. 

Here are some things that good friends do not do:

~ Good friends do not make fun of you.

~ Good friends do not insist that you only play with them.
 
~ Good friends do not ask you to do things that you know are wrong or things that make you uncomfortable.
~ Good friends do not hurt you or do not stand by when others hurt you.

As you go through school and your young lives, you will find that there are kids that make really good friends, other kids that make OK friends, and other kids that you know and treat respectfully, but you usually do not play with.  You must know that both of you are really good kids (and I am not biased at all!)  But you must do all of these things to be a good friend, too. I expect that both of you are good friends to others.  I expect that you follow the golden rule - to treat others like you want to be treated.  I expect that you treat other children just as you would if Dad and I were playing right next to you.  I know that you both are good friends to many other children.  I am proud of the friend that you are to others.

More school friends
I love you both to the moon and back and back again!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment