 |
| Joshua is growing up! |
Dearest Joshua and Luke,
Joshua's first reconciliation snuck up on us in the last few weeks. While we knew that second grade was the year, I guess we were thinking that it would not happen until closer to Christmas. But here it was. We received a letter from church saying there was a parent meeting coming up. We scheduled a babysitter so that we could both attend. That is a big deal for us because we rarely get a sitter. We both want to be a big part of your spiritual life so we both wanted to hear what Father Bill was going to say. We really did not have any idea how to approach first reconciliation with you, so the meeting was a big help. It was also nice to be with other parents of second grade children who were interested in the same outcome.
 |
| Ho! Ho! Ho! |
Saturday morning, the day for your first reconciliation, came and Joshua was very excited. We were very lucky that Uncle Luke's family was visiting us so Daddy and I both got to take Joshua and Luke stayed home with Luke. Everyone in the family was giving Joshua some great last minute advice for hie first reconciliation. Joshua did not seem nervous a bit.
 |
| Luke is catching up! |
Joshua rushed into church and chose a front row seat. (He is so much like his parents who like to sit in the front row.) Father Bill talked to the parents and second graders on a second grade level. It was a wonderful message about how God was always going to be there for them. Father Bill used the analogy that when they make a choice to sin or do something that God does not want them to do, it is like they are pulling away from God. But even though people choose to do that, God's hand is always there and ready for them. It never pulls away from them. God is always extending his hand inviting them back to him. No matter what they do. Since Joshua was in the front row, Father Bill asked him to come forward to help with the demonstration with God's hand. Father Bill asked Joshua if he ever fought with Luke. Thankfully, Joshua was honest and answered, "yes." By this time, Joshua looked a little nervous. I think he was wondering how many other things Father Bill was going to ask him about in front of everyone there!
Once the audience was dismissed to do their reconciliation, Joshua ran up, in front of other children, to be first to see Father Bill. Joshua sat down. Both hands were in his pockets. He nodded a lot to Father Bill, and quickly left. When he came back to us, we got in our own line to do our reconciliation. Joshua said that "everything went fine." Father Bill told him to go back to the baptismal font, reflect on his baptism, and make the sign of the cross. So he did.
 |
| Luke cracks himself up! |
Joshua commented several times that he felt so much better after talking to Father Bill, and that he wanted to go to confession every week. He was a bit disappointed that he only got to tell Father Bill
one of the
three things that he had thought about ahead of time. Joshua started thinking about the fact that he wanted to talk to Father Bill again. I explained to Joshua that he did not have to tell Father Bill all of his sins. I told him that he could talk to God anytime or while he prayed. I wanted him to know that he did not have to go to confession every time he sinned. But.....Joshua being the independent thinker that he is, decided to go back and see Father Bill for a second confession once everyone else had a turn. Joshua said the second time was as good as the first, and that he did want to go back every week to "confess" to Father Bill.
 |
| Luke & Joshua by our high school tree. |
I know that reconciliation is not the most popular sacrament in our church. I will admit to you that prior to this confession, it had been about five years since I had been. Daddy and I used to go every year at Easter and Christmas, but since you both had been born, it happened much less frequently. It was a little difficult to explain to you because I think you were really wondering how we possibly were not doing what we were
supposed to do. :) But I really liked how Father Bill explained that we are often very hard on ourselves when we think about confession or go to confession. He said that confession is helpful in the fact that he (Father Bill) can remind us to be gentle to ourselves. That is very true. I think we will go to confession this year for Christmas and Easter. :)
I love you both more today than I did yesterday.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment