Sunday, September 2, 2012

From Summer to Starting School

Ready for a day at Valley Fair!
Dear Joshua and  Luke,

This has been such a busy last few weeks for us.  From an Amtrak trip north to the start of a new school year, a brand new school  year, first year in real school year, for Luke!

At the end of our Branson vacation Daddy and the boys started talking about how much they missed Minnesota, and the boys really wanted to see their cousins before school started, so after some careful thought and planning - and Daddy's very generous and hospitable families agreement, Daddy planned a trip to Minnesota to visit his brother's family.  The boys were so excited to be taking a train!  It was their second time on a train, but it proved to be a very exciting way to travel.  During their stay in Minnesota they spent time boating at Lake Minnetonka, including Daddy water skiing, spent the day at Valley Fair (much like Six Flags), played at the park and so much more!  What a fantastic visit and one very generous family!

You probably pictured me at home, attending and hosting all kinds of parties, but he truth is that it was the busiest week I have had at work.  Maybe busier than I ever remember!  I worked a lot.  I missed you terribly, but it was comforting to know how much fun you were having while I was able to get a lot of work done.

The boys and their cousins on Lake Minnetonka.
As you returned from this fun adventure, school was about to begin.  As I completed your registration at school a few weeks ago, I had a realization that both of you would be in school now. That realization gave some interesting and conflicting thoughts in my head...... Wow! Two kids, both kids in school.  Joshua was entering second grade.  I had gotten used to him being at school with me.  But Luke?  Luke has been my baby, my youngest, and I really wasn't sure that I wanted him to go to school yet.  If he was not sure, how could I be?  In fact, there were some days that he was not sure about kindergarten either.  One day he would say, "I can't wait for kindergarten.  I will get to see you at lunch.  I can go to school with you.  But other times he would say, "Mom, I want to do preschool again.  I don't want to go (to school) yet.". When I asked him why he would tell me that he wanted more time to play. Bless his heart.  I can't say that I blame him?  He knows that kindergarten is work, and he would rather play.  Sounds reasonable. 


Luke's first day in kindergarten.
I am happy to report that two weeks into school, Luke is loving it!  When we ask him how his day was, he will usually reply, "really good.". Those words are music to my ears.  Luke has made friends, and each time I see him at school, he gives me a huge smile.   The few times I have seen him on the playground, he is usually playing with at least one friend, and again, he is always happy.  At home he usually likes doing his homework while Joshua is doing his.  Luke loves reading  his books from school to us.  He is very proud of himself.  He is sounding out words to write, and has been writing books about ninjas and his family.  He has become quite an author.  We were getting ready to watch a movie, and Luke picked up a keyboard that goes with one of the TV games, and he names the letters and numbers on the keyboard.  His interest in school is amazing!


Joshua's first day in second grade! 



Then, there is Joshua in second grade.  He loves everything about school.  I am surprised by Joshua having homework each night.  It only takes him about five minutes to complete, but we had to get used to the routine.  Joshua is enjoying old friends and new friends this year.  So far he thinks that everything is easy for him.And it is!  Joshua is reading like crazy, as usual.  It is difficult to keep up with books for him! 





So whether I was ready or not, both boys are in school.  I am getting used to the idea.  Of course I knew that everything would be OK with them.  I think I just might be OK too.


The boys first day of school for the school year.

I know that I love you way more than I did yesterday.

Love,
Mama

2 comments: